Working in McCann Tel Aviv for 3 years now, Eldar Yusupov, 33 is the man behind #ThisAbles, one of the most appraised ideas at Cannes Lions 2019, with 11 trophies. With the goal to offer an easy solution for upgrading furniture features, so the interaction with household items could be more user-friendly for people with disabilities, the idea of 3d printed ad-ons to current objects was suggested to Ikea, and the client eventually decided to build on it. Eldar is suffering from cerebral palsy, so the concept was rooted in his everyday life banal situations. His determination on using his experience and finding life-improving solutions paid off greatly. Eldar has studied copywriting in Tirza Granot college, then in Tel Aviv University, having a B.A. in Cinema &TV. “ Stay”, his graduation film, was awarded in several student film festivals. Before his time with McCann, he collaborated with Anyclip, a hi-tech company.
1. What would make your soul sing? What makes you happy?
My amazing wife makes my soul sing. To be with my family, watching movies and reading books make me happy.
2. A childhood story that announced the creative person you are today:
Because of my condition, I was home-schooled until I was 12 years old. I used to invent things, but no one payed attention. My dad was the one noticing and appreciating. As a kid I used to draw, paint and write anecdotes. After visiting the Holocaust museum in Poland, with the class, I wrote a poignant story – everybody loved it.
3. Best context ever for inspiration was:
“The Ugly Duckling” by Christian Andresen.
4. The project you loved most:
5. The project others loved most:
6. The best thing about Israeli creativity is:
We think about ideas in the toilet.
7. Best statement of Israeli humour:
We allow ourselves to laugh about everything, Holocaust included.
8. Advice for international head hunters, related to Israeli creatives:
We are ugly and maybe too spoiled, but we are the best.
9. Best place in Tel Aviv:
Hotel Dan Tel Aviv, painted vividly, also the associated beach. Actually Tel Aviv beaches are a destination in themselves.
10. Best Place in Israel:
11. The most disturbing cliché about Israel:
We live in the desert and we are always at war.
12. Your opinion on money:
I need to ask my wife.
13. Your opinion on spirituality:
Is at the heart of creativity.
14. A book / film recommendation for a Young Creative:
“A story”, by Robert Mackey.